2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Monday 23 July 2012

That my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to you forever! Psalm 30:12

God has given us many things in life that we should be thankful for. Therefore, we should be counting our blessings. We don’t often reflect on what we have instead we dwell on what we lack. We cannot have enough of anything, and always want more. We never get tired of asking for more. It is our human nature.

There is nothing wrong with asking God for good things, as long as we are appreciative of them when He gives us what we want, and submit to His will if He chooses not to give. Perhaps He will give them to us later. God knows what is best for us. Also we might be asking for something that may not be good for us.

 Often we realize and appreciate what we have after we lose it temporarily or after seeing someone who does not have it. For example, it is unfortunate that we don’t thank God enough for our health until we get sick. Then we constantly implore God to heal us. As soon as we feel better, we tend to forget God and may turn unappreciative again. It hardly ever occurs to us that our eyes, hands, feet, and everything we have, are blessings from God until we have problems. Being thankful and appreciative is for our own good. If we choose to ignore the blessings God has given us, and do not recognize God’s hand in our lives, we are the ones who lose.

On a more personal note I often fall short for words of thanks, not only to God but all those that surround me and those that pray for me. I often feel deeply indebted to God who gives me life each day again. To you who read my blog, to you whom I meet in the store, to you whom encourage me time and again and cheer me on, to those who express their feelings in writing, telephone calls and cards. To those churches who pray from me in Cuba, The Netherlands, Australia, Canada and the USA and other places. I am indebted to total strangers who God puts on my path and with whom I can share His Amazing Grace. How long can I make this list? I could go on with much more.

Finally I want to end with the boundless love of my children and grand children whom stand at my side each day again. A hug will never say it all, the words “I love you” fall short of what you do for me. When I hear my grandchildren pray aloud, Lord make Papa better again, it brings tears to my eyes and a smile to my face because I know that God hears the needy when they cry. Thank you for your prayers and every day support, words fall short.

Then lastly and most important next to God is Henrietta my wife, the love of my life whom stands and walks with me through this life and journey with cancer. Through the valleys, over the mountain tops, in sorrow, in joy, in times when you pray for me when I can’t because I feel ill or so tired that I can’t go on anymore, it is then that you are there. How can I ever say the right words to thank you. It is you and all those who are named here and those whom I forgot to name. Thank you, and I pray that God will keep us together yet for more time. I pray for healing, knowing that my God is Almighty and can do it, no doubt at all. To God be the Glory.

Finally just a short update on myself. I am doing ok, although I am often very tired due to the chemo treatments and lately I can feel that the chemo treatments are taking its toll on my body, feeling more nauseated and less appetite. I have no pain and so far my weight remains stable.

We are going into a couple of busy weeks because we have sold our home and are downsizing to a new and smaller home in the area. We talked and prayed about this matter together and so far God has made all things well. Our home sold in 2 ½ weeks and our new home should just be ready to move into on August 6. Although we have many fond memories in this home we look forward to making this move.
Thank you for your prayers.
Be blessed and be a blessing to many.
John

1 comment:

  1. Dear John and Henrietta ~ What a beautiful testimony of God's Grace you both are! What a lovely post you have written...the LORD is glorified as you testify to HIS Goodness. May HE continually give you HIS strength and grace for the journey. We continue to lift you up to the Throne of Grace in prayer. HE is able. HE is Faithful. HE does all things well.

    In Christian Love,
    Howie and Camille and Family

    ReplyDelete